Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sushi anyone???

SUSHI!
By the end of this blog post you can be making your own sushi at home!
exciting huh?
I'm not gonna lie at all, when I first made this at home for my Hubby I felt like a RoCk*StAr*
hahaha I know I'm a nerd and it doesn't take much to get me excited.
So Lets do this!!!


I bought all my goodies to make sushi at HEB, you could easily go to a hong kong market and get everything {and I'm sure for half the cost} But I was intimidated to go to one by myself!
Anyways, this is what you need:
a sushi mat
cling wrap {to cover your mat and tap together on the other side, so your rice doesn't stick to the mat}
sushi paper
sushi rice
rice vinegar
all the goodies you want in your sushi


We used the following:
avocado
cucumber {julienned}
crab {stick shaped, not lump}
smoked salmon
fried shrimp
jalapeno
cream cheese
soy sauce
wasabi

You could put a hot dog in it if you wanted (don't tell me cause I will gag but whatever floats your boat)
be creative! I just got the things we usually look for when we are at a sushi restaurant


First: cook the sushi rise the way it says on the package. I found out that 2 cups of UNCOOKED rice would cook up to be about 5 sushi rolls, just an FYI

Have everything you want to use in your rolls out and ready to go

Like this!
{P.S check out that belly!}

Now lets make some sushi!

Put the shiny side of the paper down on the mat

Keep a bowl of cold water close by
get your fingers wet before grabbing the rice (it's STICKY!)

See, Sticky!

Spread your rice out to make a thin layer of rice all over the sushi paper

It should look like this!

My first roll is a California roll so I want the rice on the outside of the roll, so I will need to FLIP this
Watch...


Gently pick it up & flip!



TaDa
Rice is now on the bottom which will mean it will be on the OUTSIDE
I am now realizing I missed taking a picture here Oops..
Now is when you would put your filling it. Put it on the bottom third of the roll closest to you. Since I was making a cali roll I put cucumber, crab & avocado
Now roll up the first roll to cover all of the filling and give it a good Squeeze!
Like this:


See the first roll
Now just keep on rollin'

The very last roll you want to roll backwards and give a good squeeze

TaDa
A cali roll!

Cut

Looks just like the real deal huh?
and taste just as YuMmY!
Now make another

Repeat the first few steps:
shiny side of paper down
wet fingers
spread rice

This roll the rice will be on the inside
See how I am putting all the goodies on the bottom third closest to me?
[This is what I was talking about earlier]


First roll and squeeze

keep rollin

Last roll, roll back towards you and squeeze
then cut



Enjoy!!!


Some of the rolls we made:
Cali roll: cucumber, crab, avocado
Jessie roll: smoked salmon, cucumber, jalapeno, avocado
Ashley roll: fried shrimp, cream cheese, avocado
Everything roll (not featured in the above picture) : smoked salmon, crab, avocado, cream cheese, jalapeno, cucumber

Use anything you want! Have FuN! and Enjoy!!!


Leave me comments when you do yours!

YAY SUSHI!


*and a special thanks to my mommy friend Florence for teaching me the day before*

No comments:

Post a Comment